IBM snatches up UrbanCode for DevOps prowess
UrbanCode's application release automation (ARA) hastens software updates
IDG News Service - Sensing a need among its customers for faster software development, IBM has acquired UrbanCode, a provider of tools suited for the emerging practice of rapid software development called devops.
UrbanCode's application release automation (ARA) software automates the process of delivering applications and application updates directly from development shops to end-devices such as mobile phones and servers. UrbanCode packaged its core ARA software as part of a devops integrated suite of tools for building, deploying, provisioning and releasing software packages.
Companies such as Wells Fargo, Fidelity, Walmart, Disney and Expedia have used UrbanCode's products.A
For IBM, UrbanCode's ARA software will provide a crucial component in its plans to update its Rational software development stack for the emerging practice of devops. With devops, a development team rapidly tests many iterations of a software program with users in order to more quickly identify potential problems and bring the software to production use more quickly.
On the mobile front, IBM will integrate the UrbanCode software with its Worklight set of cross-platform mobile application development tools, as well as make it part of its MobileFirst set of enterprise mobile tools.
UrbanCode's software will also become a component of IBM's SmartCloud set of cloud services. The software can be used to install and update enterprise applications, such as middleware, databases and business intelligence.
IBM is planning on enticing more of its customers and potential customers to use devops to their own benefit. According to an IBM study, organizations are now finding that they can save money and increase customer satisfaction by more quickly providing applications and updates to their customers and employees. However, only 25 percent of companies currently use software to provide a competitive advantage, the IBM market research has found.
Founded in 1996, UrbanCode is based in Cleveland. IBM will continue to support existing UrbanCode clients. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts