Facebook Home hits 500K downloads
Good start, says analyst, but he calls the number 'disappointing' considering Facebook's user base
Computerworld - In the 10 days that Facebook Home has been available, it has had more than 500,000 downloads.
While that number may not be as high as it had been expected to be, it's a strong start for the Android launcher, according to Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research.
"Most companies would be thrilled to have a half million downloads in 10 days," said Gottheil. "It may be disappointing, but it's still good news. Even if only half stick with it, that's a lot more screen time than before for Facebook. Every user is a net win."
Facebook did not respond to a request for comment.
It doesn't replace the Android operating system. Instead, it sits on top of it and includes a family of Facebook-related apps, while also working with the apps a user already has on his phone.
The launcher was first made available for Android smartphones, with a tablet version set to come later. And while some reports have said Facebook is in talks with Apple to create a version of Home for iOS, analysts have said it'll never happen.
Gottheil pointed out Monday that though Facebook has more than 1 billion users, the number who use Android phones is much smaller. And the number of users who have an Android phone that works with Home at this point is smaller still.
The company reported that at the end of 2012, it had 680 million monthly active mobile users.
Comparing the 500,000 downloads to the number of Facebook's mobile users instead of its overall number of users, makes the downloads look much greater, Gottheil noted.
"Some people are Facebook fanatics, and Facebook Home makes sense for them," he added. "A lot of others just want to try it. Remember that downloading isn't using."
Gottheil said it also may not help that Home has a 2.2-star user rating out of a possible five stars on Google Play.
"What isn't good news is a two-star review, which probably goes a long way toward explaining the downloads," he added. "But remember that most companies would be thrilled to have a half-million downloads in 10 days."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
- Facebook shows mobile app developers the money with new ad network
- Facebook unveils anonymous app log-ins
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!