Electrical engineers see sharp uptick in Q1 jobless rate
Computerworld - The unemployment rate for people at the heart of many tech innovations -- electrical engineers -- rose sharply in the first quarter of this year for reasons that aren't clear.
The number of electrical engineering jobs declined by 40,000 in the first quarter, and the category's unemployment rate rose to 6.5%, according to an analysis of U.S. Labor Department data by the IEEE-USA.
In 2010 and 2011, the unemployment rate for electrical engineers held at 3.4%. In 2012, there were 335,000 electrical engineers in the workforce, said the IEEE-USA. That figure now stands at 295,000.
"The first-quarter unemployment spike is alarming," Keith Grzelak, the IEEE-USA's vice president of government relations, said in a statement.
The TechServe Alliance, which represents IT services firms, said the head count of the overall IT workforce reached 4.4 million in March, an increase of 14,800 from February. Demand for IT professionals is strong, "with shortages [of people with] many skill sets," said TechServe CEO Mark Roberts.
But that's not true for electrical engineers. And that could be a problem, because for a country to have wealth, you need engineers who can "make something out of nothing," said Victor Janulaitis, CEO of Janco Associates, an IT employment research firm.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts