College-level Cobol classes are scarce
Computerworld - At universities today, Cobol is often taught as an elective, if it's taught at all -- and that could create staffing problems for large enterprises.
Billions of lines of Cobol code are still in use at large businesses and in government agencies.
"I professionally think that Cobol is alive and well," said David Dischiave, an associate professor at the Syracuse University School of Information Studies.
A survey of 119 universities by Micro Focus, a maker of software for developing and modernizing enterprise systems, makes clear that organizations that need Cobol expertise may face staffing problems.
Micro Focus said that 73% of the universities polled don't offer Cobol programming classes. Of the rest, 18% have Cobol as part of their core curriculum and 9% offer Cobol courses as electives.
Meanwhile, 71% of the respondents said that they believe businesses will continue to rely on Cobol-based applications for at least the next 10 years.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham doesn't teach Cobol. "The demand just wouldn't justify us even offering a class," said Paul Crigler, a computer instructor at the UAB School of Business.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts