College-level Cobol classes are scarce
Computerworld - At universities today, Cobol is often taught as an elective, if it's taught at all -- and that could create staffing problems for large enterprises.
Billions of lines of Cobol code are still in use at large businesses and in government agencies.
"I professionally think that Cobol is alive and well," said David Dischiave, an associate professor at the Syracuse University School of Information Studies.
A survey of 119 universities by Micro Focus, a maker of software for developing and modernizing enterprise systems, makes clear that organizations that need Cobol expertise may face staffing problems.
Micro Focus said that 73% of the universities polled don't offer Cobol programming classes. Of the rest, 18% have Cobol as part of their core curriculum and 9% offer Cobol courses as electives.
Meanwhile, 71% of the respondents said that they believe businesses will continue to rely on Cobol-based applications for at least the next 10 years.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham doesn't teach Cobol. "The demand just wouldn't justify us even offering a class," said Paul Crigler, a computer instructor at the UAB School of Business.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts