Google Apps, Gmail services disrupted this morning
Company reports that all services are back up and running
Computerworld - Google Apps, including Gmail and Google Documents, suffered a disruption this morning.
Users took to Twitter and started complaining about downed services around 8:15 a.m. ET. Some also complained that Google's Status page, which is set up to offer information on outages and disruptions, wasn't reporting the issue.
At 8:58 a.m., though, Google made its first status report, noting that it was investigating reports of an issue with Gmail. Then 11 minutes later, Google reported that the issue was "affecting less than 0.007% of the Google Mail user base."
At 9:51 a.m., Google reported that Gmail had been restored for some users, and at 10:52 a.m., it said Gmail had been restored for all users.
However, the company's Apps Status Dashboard noted that Google Drive, Google Documents, Google Spreadsheets, Google Presentations and Google Groups all were disrupted, as well.
The Admin Control Panel reportedly suffered a total outage.
As of 11:15, all services are reportedly up and running again.
That may be bad news for anyone hoping that a Google Apps disruption would mean less work to do today.
"By the laws of the Internet, if Gmail AND Google Apps for Business are both down, we get the DAY OFF," tweeted @petershankman.
And @Gothamist had the same idea, tweeting: "Gmail down because of Google Apps, giving you airtight excuse to blow off work."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts