Microsoft signs patent licensing deal with Foxconn covering Android, Chrome devices
The deal covers Foxconn manufactured smartphones, tablets and televisions installed with the operating systems.
IDG News Service - Microsoft has signed up another major electronics manufacturer to its Android and Chrome patent licensing program, this time Taiwan's Foxconn, which will pay royalties to the U.S. software giant.
The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but it covers Foxconn manufactured devices running the Android and Chrome operating systems, including smartphones, tablets and televisions, Microsoft said on Tuesday.
Foxconn is the latest contract manufacturer to sign up for Microsoft's Android and Chrome patent licensing program, despite the fact that Google developed the two operating systems.
Both Android and Chrome use its technologies, according to Microsoft, and in the past the U.S. software giant has sued Android vendors over alleged patent infringement. In 2011, Microsoft filed a lawsuit against Barnes & Noble, along with one of Foxconn's manufacturing companies, for running patent infringing software on its Android-based Nook e-reader.
Microsoft's licensing agreements give a way for Android vendors to avoid facing further legal action. Other companies that have struck similar deals include Taiwanese electronics manufacturers Compal and Wistron, and handset and tablet makers Samsung, HTC, and Acer.
Since 2003, Microsoft has signed more than 1,100 patent licensing agreements for access to the company's technologies.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!