Google adds IT admin features for Chrome browser
The goal is to give IT departments more control over end users' Chrome browsers
IDG News Service - Google has beefed up the administration and management controls that IT staff have over their users' Chrome browsers.
Google has added the ability for IT departments to apply the workplace configuration of Chrome browsers to Chrome browsers installed on employees' home computers.
That way, users working on their home computers can have access to their work Web apps, custom themes and app store by logging into Chrome with their Google Apps for Business or Google Apps for Education accounts, the company said Tuesday.
"With cloud-based management, IT administrators can customize more than 100 Chrome policies and preferences for their employees from the Google Admin panel," wrote Cyrus Mistry, senior product manager, Chrome for Business & Education, in a blog post.
Google also announced a new Chrome extension called Legacy Browser Support that lets IT administrators configure the browser so that it will launch an older browser for certain sites and Web applications that run better with a "legacy" browser.
"IT managers simply define which sites should launch from Chrome into an alternate browser, and then set this Chrome policy for all employees," Mistry wrote.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts