Pirate Bay co-founder charged with hacking IBM mainframes, stealing money
The Logica and Nordea hack are somehow related because both companies used an IBM mainframe, said Olin, who could not specify which mainframe was used. The operative system of the mainframe is z/OS though, a 64-bit operating system for IBM mainframes, Olin said.
The Nordea bank won't comment on ongoing legal proceedings, said Helena Astman, head of communications at Nordea.
Logica, now part of CGI Sweden, is glad that people were charged with the breach, said Anders Sandell, head of security of CGI Sweden. While both Logica and Nordea use IBM mainframes, the companies use different systems, he said, adding that he could not disclose any more technical details nor provide any information about vulnerabilities used in the hacks.
IBM Sweden spokesman Andreas Lundgren declined to comment.
At the moment, it is not really clear why Logica was hacked, said Olin. But the intruders stole extensive personal and vehicle data, including social security numbers, he said. "I won't comment any further on that because there is no evidence what they wanted to use it for. At the moment we only have loose theories."
Court proceedings against Svartholm Warg and the other three are expected to begin at the Nacka district court at the end of May, Olin said.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts