Microsoft amends security update after reports of system errors
The company has removed the update from the MS13-036 batch of patches
IDG News Service - Microsoft amended a security update containing a patch that reportedly caused errors in some third-party software.
The update, number 2823324, was distributed on Tuesday as part of MS13-036, a batch of patches that fix three Windows vulnerabilities in a kernel-mode driver.
"We've determined that the update, when paired with certain third-party software, can cause system errors," wrote Dustin Childs, a group manager in Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing division, on a company blog. "As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports and have since removed it from the download center."
Contrary to some reports, the system errors do not cause data to be lost and also do not necessarily affect all computers that applied the patch, Childs wrote. Microsoft published instructions for how to uninstall the security update.
Microsoft has removed the particular patch from MS13-036, which is still being pushed to its customers, Childs added.
The most severe of the three vulnerabilities that MS13-036 addresses could allow an attacker elevated privileges if the person runs a specially crafted application. But the attacker would need to have valid login credential and physical access to the computer.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Threat Landscape Hardly a day goes by without the discovery of a new cyberthreat somewhere in the world! But how do you keep up with...
- Security for Virtualization In the rush to implement virtualization, security has become second. So while the business benefits are clear, the risks are less well documented...
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts