Microsoft amends security update after reports of system errors
The company has removed the update from the MS13-036 batch of patches
IDG News Service - Microsoft amended a security update containing a patch that reportedly caused errors in some third-party software.
The update, number 2823324, was distributed on Tuesday as part of MS13-036, a batch of patches that fix three Windows vulnerabilities in a kernel-mode driver.
"We've determined that the update, when paired with certain third-party software, can cause system errors," wrote Dustin Childs, a group manager in Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing division, on a company blog. "As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports and have since removed it from the download center."
Contrary to some reports, the system errors do not cause data to be lost and also do not necessarily affect all computers that applied the patch, Childs wrote. Microsoft published instructions for how to uninstall the security update.
Microsoft has removed the particular patch from MS13-036, which is still being pushed to its customers, Childs added.
The most severe of the three vulnerabilities that MS13-036 addresses could allow an attacker elevated privileges if the person runs a specially crafted application. But the attacker would need to have valid login credential and physical access to the computer.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts