BlackBerry Q10 pre-orders start in Canada; no word on U.S.
Wireless carrier Rogers in Canada may ship the Q10 on April 30, according to one document
Computerworld - Several Canadian retailers and wireless carriers today began taking pre-orders for the BlackBerry Q10 smartphone, which features a physical qwerty keyboard.
However, there was no official word on when the Q10 will ship in Canada or the United States. A BlackBerry spokeswoman said only: "The BlackBerry Q10 will be available in Canada in the coming weeks. Details on availability in other markets will follow soon." Blackberry is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
BlackBerry executives in January said only that the Q10 would ship in the second quarter. Some reports have said shipping would start in April.
Rogers divulged that it will have both the white and black versions of the Q10, and that it will charge $199.99 for the devices with a three-year contract.
None of the four companies said when the phone will be available.
Some reports have stated that a leaked internal Rogers document shows an April 30 launch date for the Q10.
Sprint, AT&T and Verizon Wireless plan to sell the Q10 in the U.S., but they haven't set firm shipping dates.
BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said the qwerty version of the BlackBerry 10 device is expected to be a hit with traditional BlackBerry users who are familiar with a physical keyboard. The touchscreen Z10 went on sale in March, through carriers AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Delivering Enterprise Information Securely on tablets & smartphones
A technical how-to guide-updated for Android 4.2,iOS 6.1, and Windows
Phone and Surface 8
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts