BlackBerry Q10 pre-orders start in Canada; no word on U.S.
Wireless carrier Rogers in Canada may ship the Q10 on April 30, according to one document
Computerworld - Several Canadian retailers and wireless carriers today began taking pre-orders for the BlackBerry Q10 smartphone, which features a physical qwerty keyboard.
However, there was no official word on when the Q10 will ship in Canada or the United States. A BlackBerry spokeswoman said only: "The BlackBerry Q10 will be available in Canada in the coming weeks. Details on availability in other markets will follow soon." Blackberry is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
BlackBerry executives in January said only that the Q10 would ship in the second quarter. Some reports have said shipping would start in April.
Rogers divulged that it will have both the white and black versions of the Q10, and that it will charge $199.99 for the devices with a three-year contract.
None of the four companies said when the phone will be available.
Some reports have stated that a leaked internal Rogers document shows an April 30 launch date for the Q10.
Sprint, AT&T and Verizon Wireless plan to sell the Q10 in the U.S., but they haven't set firm shipping dates.
BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said the qwerty version of the BlackBerry 10 device is expected to be a hit with traditional BlackBerry users who are familiar with a physical keyboard. The touchscreen Z10 went on sale in March, through carriers AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!