BlackBerry Q10 pre-orders start in Canada; no word on U.S.
Wireless carrier Rogers in Canada may ship the Q10 on April 30, according to one document
Computerworld - Several Canadian retailers and wireless carriers today began taking pre-orders for the BlackBerry Q10 smartphone, which features a physical qwerty keyboard.
However, there was no official word on when the Q10 will ship in Canada or the United States. A BlackBerry spokeswoman said only: "The BlackBerry Q10 will be available in Canada in the coming weeks. Details on availability in other markets will follow soon." Blackberry is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
BlackBerry executives in January said only that the Q10 would ship in the second quarter. Some reports have said shipping would start in April.
Rogers divulged that it will have both the white and black versions of the Q10, and that it will charge $199.99 for the devices with a three-year contract.
None of the four companies said when the phone will be available.
Some reports have stated that a leaked internal Rogers document shows an April 30 launch date for the Q10.
Sprint, AT&T and Verizon Wireless plan to sell the Q10 in the U.S., but they haven't set firm shipping dates.
BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said the qwerty version of the BlackBerry 10 device is expected to be a hit with traditional BlackBerry users who are familiar with a physical keyboard. The touchscreen Z10 went on sale in March, through carriers AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts