U.S. patent office retracts rejection of Apple's iPad Mini trademark
Apple must waive exclusive right to 'Mini' before agency will award tablet trademark
Computerworld - The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) last week reversed itself, withdrawing a rejection of Apple's trademark application for "iPad Mini," according to a document published by the agency.
In an letter mailed to Apple last Wednesday, the USPTO said it was backing off reasons why it had provisionally denied the application.
"Upon further review of the application, the examining attorney has determined that the following refusals issued in the initial Office action should be withdrawn," the letter stated. "The examining attorney apologizes for any inconvenience caused."
In January, the USPTO had told Apple that it was bouncing the trademark application for the phrase "iPad Mini" because it judged the second word to be "... merely descriptive of a feature or characteristic of the goods." That objection has been withdrawn, as have others that said Apple submitted unsatisfactory examples of the proposed trademark.
But the USPTO continued to hold Apple to one requirement from January: It must waive any exclusive rights to the word "Mini."
"If applicant does not provide the required disclaimer, the USPTO may refuse to register the entire mark," the letter said. The agency recommended Apple amend the application with a disclaimer reading, "No claim is made to the exclusive right to use 'MINI' apart from the mark as shown."
Apple has six months to address the USPTO's requirement.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All iOS White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!