U.S. patent office retracts rejection of Apple's iPad Mini trademark
Apple must waive exclusive right to 'Mini' before agency will award tablet trademark
Computerworld - The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) last week reversed itself, withdrawing a rejection of Apple's trademark application for "iPad Mini," according to a document published by the agency.
In an letter mailed to Apple last Wednesday, the USPTO said it was backing off reasons why it had provisionally denied the application.
"Upon further review of the application, the examining attorney has determined that the following refusals issued in the initial Office action should be withdrawn," the letter stated. "The examining attorney apologizes for any inconvenience caused."
In January, the USPTO had told Apple that it was bouncing the trademark application for the phrase "iPad Mini" because it judged the second word to be "... merely descriptive of a feature or characteristic of the goods." That objection has been withdrawn, as have others that said Apple submitted unsatisfactory examples of the proposed trademark.
But the USPTO continued to hold Apple to one requirement from January: It must waive any exclusive rights to the word "Mini."
"If applicant does not provide the required disclaimer, the USPTO may refuse to register the entire mark," the letter said. The agency recommended Apple amend the application with a disclaimer reading, "No claim is made to the exclusive right to use 'MINI' apart from the mark as shown."
Apple has six months to address the USPTO's requirement.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!