Fusion-io releases 1.6TB flash card, HP preps workstations for them
HP to ship the 1.6TB ioFX card in its Z-class workstations
Computerworld - Fusion-io announced a new version of its ioFX workstation flash module that has more than three times the capacity of its predecessor.
The new Fusion-io ioFX card will offer 1.6TB of capacity. The original version holds 420GB of data.
The card is intended for use in applications such as video editing and computer-assisted design, as well as 4K and stereoscopic video production.
For the first time, Hewlett-Packard is planning to ship the ioFX card in its Z820, Z620 and Z420 Workstations. HP had previously offered ioFX cards as after-market add-ons.
The new ioFX card has a top speed of 1.4GBps for reads, and 1.1GBps for writes. The previous version of the card had the same write speed, but a 700MBps read speed.
"There are so many more [flash] chips configured in parallel, we naturally get a much higher write performance," said Vincent Brisebois, Fusion-io's director of visual computing. "But, usually write performance is not the focus of workstations."
The 1.6TB Fusion ioFX card will be available this summer. The company will announce pricing when it releases the drive. The 420GB ioFX card, which has been available since last year, has a retail price of $1,995.
Brisebois said Fusion-io hopes to keep the new card's price under four times that of the current card.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts