13 tips for writing an effective cover letter
Creating an effective IT cover letter can mean the difference between getting the job or your resume getting trashed. These tips from IT career coaches and insiders will make your cover letter stand out.
CIO - In today's IT world, employers are inundated with responses to job postings, sometimes getting hundreds of resumes for a single job listing. Hiring managers and HR pros need to do what they can to whittle down the pile. For this reason, you've got to use every tool at your disposal to tell your story. The cover letter is a valuable tool in your arsenal that can help do just that.
"By creating highly personalized and detailed cover letters, you will distinguish yourself from the crowd of other applicants who are sending the standard, boring cover letters that employers receive--and discard--every day," says Ford Myers, author of " Get The Job You Want, Even When No One's Hiring."
Is it Always Necessary to Send a Cover Letter?
"There are employers who religiously read every cover letter," says Doug Schade, principal consultant in the software technology search division at WinterWyman. While it may not be necessary, according to Schade, you definitely should if you have the opportunity.
"My advice is to always include a short cover letter as you won't know the employer's propensities ahead of time and you may miss out on an opportunity to sell yourself. Every chance to tell your story is something you should take advantage of," says Schade.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts