13 tips for writing an effective cover letter
Creating an effective IT cover letter can mean the difference between getting the job or your resume getting trashed. These tips from IT career coaches and insiders will make your cover letter stand out.
CIO - In today's IT world, employers are inundated with responses to job postings, sometimes getting hundreds of resumes for a single job listing. Hiring managers and HR pros need to do what they can to whittle down the pile. For this reason, you've got to use every tool at your disposal to tell your story. The cover letter is a valuable tool in your arsenal that can help do just that.
"By creating highly personalized and detailed cover letters, you will distinguish yourself from the crowd of other applicants who are sending the standard, boring cover letters that employers receive--and discard--every day," says Ford Myers, author of " Get The Job You Want, Even When No One's Hiring."
Is it Always Necessary to Send a Cover Letter?
"There are employers who religiously read every cover letter," says Doug Schade, principal consultant in the software technology search division at WinterWyman. While it may not be necessary, according to Schade, you definitely should if you have the opportunity.
"My advice is to always include a short cover letter as you won't know the employer's propensities ahead of time and you may miss out on an opportunity to sell yourself. Every chance to tell your story is something you should take advantage of," says Schade.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts