While the API is still in an experimental stage, Mozilla plans to ship it on the first Firefox OS devices
IDG News Service - Mozilla plans to introduce a common AP to make online payments easy and secure on Firefox OS devices.
"As a first step, Mozilla will introduce navigator.mozPay() in Firefox OS so that web apps can accept payments," said Kumar McMillan, who works on Firefox OS and the Firefox Marketplace, in a blog post on Thursday.
"It's just an API to facilitate a payment for a digital good or service, whatever that may be," he said.
At the moment, the API is experimental and it might change drastically, McMillan said. But Mozilla's aim is to start processing live payments on the first Firefox OS phones and evolve the API quickly from real world usage, he added.
For now, developers are able to simulate payments and test out the code in the Firefox Marketplace, he said.
At the moment details about how merchants should interact with payment providers in the API are not yet specified, and that is clearly a gap, said McMillan. The first Firefox OS phones will have a whitelist of allowed payment providers, but that is also not ideal, he added.
"Mozilla plans to work with other vendors through the W3C to reach consensus on a common API that supports web payments in the best way possible," McMillan wrote. When the payments API is shipped with Firefox OS, Mozilla plans to add the API to Firefox for Android and desktop Firefox, he added.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!