Games and diversions dominate mobile app use
Smartphone, tablet users are launching more apps than they did two years ago, app measurement firm says
Computerworld - The average person in the U.S. spends 2 hours and 38 minutes a day on smartphones and tablets.
How are they spending that time? Are they doing productive things or having fun? Bet on fun.
Flurry, an app measurement and advertising platform, has released some interesting data showing how people spend their time on iOS and Android devices, and the implications of that use.
App use accounts for 80% of time spent using the devices, with balance through a browser, the company reported in a blog post.
When it comes to apps, 32% of a consumer's time is spent playing games - the largest segment. This is followed by Facebook use at 18% and "entertainment" at 8%. The balance of time is divided among multiple categories including "utility" and "entertainment," each at 8%. Productivity uses accounted for the smallest share at 2%.
Consumers are also using more apps, said Flurry. Over the last three years, the average number of apps launched per day by consumers climbed from 7.2 in 2010 to 7.9 in 2012.
"Assertions that people are using fewer apps in 2012 than they did in 2010 appear to be incorrect," wrote Simon Khalaf, president and CEO of Flurry.
But Khalaf also sketches out a very dynamic market. In the last quarter of 2012, 63% of the apps were new, "and most likely not even developed in 2011" or if they were developed, poorly adopted.
"We believe that with consumers continuing to try so many new apps, the app market is still in early stages and there remains room for innovation as well as breakthrough new applications," wrote Khalaf.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!