Google simplifies integration of SMS and voice with App Engine
New Python and Java libraries allow for integration with Twilio's cloud-based communications platform
IDG News Service - Google is hoping to make it easier for developers to integrate SMS or voice communications into applications running on the company's App Engine platform.
Working with Twilio, Google has created native Python and Java libraries for working with Twilio APIs. The integration allows developers to start building and adding voice and SMS features to their apps straight away, the company said in a blog post.
The integration shows how far the industry has come thanks to cloud-based communication services, according to Twilio.
"Five years ago, if you told your IT department you needed to build and scale a communications app in a week, they'd laugh -- maybe even quit. Today, we have cloud-powered tools that allow developers and entrepreneurs to do this in a matter of days," the company said in its own blog post.
The Google blog post shows how developers can add a few lines of code to send a text message from App Engine using Python. For developers that want more inspiration, there are also a number of different sample apps and code based on Python as well as Java to take a closer look at. In addition to that, Google has published a developer guide.
Twilio's platform consists of three parts: Voice, SMS and Client. The first two allow applications to make regular phone calls and send text messages, as well as receive them. While Client enables VoIP calls from any phone, tablet, or browser. It supports WebRTC, a technology that will make it possible for developers to add voice and video communications in their Web-based applications. It is being standardized by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) on an API level and at the protocol level by the IETF.
To get started developers need to sign up for App Engine and get a Twilio account. Twilio is a pay-as-you-go service that in the U.S. charges from US$0.02 per minute for outbound calls, while sending texts cost from $0.01 without volume discounts. New users get 2,000 free text message or voice minutes, according to Google.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All App Development White Papers | Webcasts