Twitter's Biz Stone hints Jelly app will be for doing good
Though still shrouded in mystery, the app will be free and targeted at mobile devices
IDG News Service - Some of the details surrounding Biz Stone's new Jelly app have just been firmed up: Apparently it will help people "do good."
"People are basically good -- when provided a tool that helps them do good in the world, they prove it," the Twitter co-founder wrote Monday in a post on the Jelly Industries homepage.
So far it has been unclear just what, exactly, Jelly is. The app started attracting attention in the tech world last week amid reports that Stone was working on a new startup.
Monday's post leaves many questions unanswered, but it appears that the app may have some sort of socially redeeming quality.
The name Jelly was inspired by jellyfish, "because neurologically, its brain is more 'we' than 'me,'" Stone wrote.
"Jelly will be for everybody," he wrote. It also will be free and available first and foremost on mobile devices, and it will command Stone's "full attention aside from some advisory roles elsewhere."
Stone first left Twitter along with fellow co-founder Ev Williams to create Obvious, an incubator and investment company focused on a variety of projects including the Medium blogging platform and the Lift mobile app for achieving personal goals.
Apparently, Jelly won't be launching anytime soon. "News of Jelly emerged unexpectedly early, so I'll wait a bit to share more about the team," Stone wrote.
Industry analysts declined to speculate on what Jelly might actually be.
Like Twitter, Jelly will be based in San Francisco. The company, which is hiring, will be self-funded for the time being, Stone wrote. "Jelly is in no rush to be a big company any time soon," he wrote.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!