Microsoft to expand Surface Pro sales to China next week
First market outside the U.S. and Canada to get the Windows 8 tablet
Computerworld - Microsoft will start selling the Surface Pro tablet in China next week, the company said yesterday.
According to the company's Chinese e-store, the Surface Pro will go on sale April 2 at 9 p.m. local time.
The Chinese debut will be the tablet's first market expansion since its U.S. and Canadian launch on Feb. 9. Microsoft first announced the Surface Pro's availability on the Chinese-language Weibo social networking service Thursday.
LiveSino.net reported earlier in the day that Microsoft was introducing the tablet in China next Tuesday.
It's been no secret that China was on the short list for the Surface Pro. Three weeks ago, Microsoft said the Windows 8 Pro-powered device would go on sale in several more markets in the second quarter, including Australia, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, New Zealand and the U.K.
The Microsoft Store does not show prices for the Surface Pro, but another Chinese website, WPDang, said the 64GB model would cost 6,588 yuan, equivalent to $1,061. The higher-priced 128GB Surface Pro, meanwhile, will be priced at 7,388 yuan ($1,190).
U.S. prices for the Surface Pro are $899 (64GB) and $999 (128GB).
Microsoft has to hope that the Surface Pro does better in China than the lower-priced Surface RT predecessor: Research firm IDC pegged shipments -- which are different, usually higher, than sales -- of the latter in China at just 30,000 units during the last two months of 2012's fourth quarter. Worldwide, Microsoft shipped approximately 900,000 Surface RTs in the same period, IDC said.
Microsoft's Chinese move hints that stock shortages have been solved. While the Surface Pro is now ready to ship from Microsoft's U.S. e-store, last month the 128GB configuration's availability was spotty for several weeks following the tablet's launch.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Microsoft discounts Surface for college kids, goes for price edge over Apple's MacBook Air
- Surface damage mounts at Microsoft as red ink reaches $1.7B
- Microsoft again writes off Surface inventory, renews profitability doubts
- Surface survives Microsoft cuts, but tablet strategy remains muddled
- Surface Pro 3 not a notebook replacement to DIYers who want inside
- Microsoft wants MacBook Air owners to trade up to a Surface Pro by trading in
- Surface Pro 3 'notebook' reaches retail today
- Whoops! Microsoft goof confirms Surface Mini
- Surface Pro 3 deep-dive review: Has Microsoft finally got it right?
- Perspective: The Surface Pro is Microsoft's latest premature introduction problem
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Uninterrupted Internet: Maximizing Revenue and Minimizing Business Risk with 3G/4G Failover Whether your businesses are connected to the Internet via T1/T3, or Cable, incorporating a mobile broadband backup solution adds uptime whenever there is...
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts