Wells Fargo warns of ongoing DDOS attacks
Some customers may experience intermittent access, the bank said
IDG News Service - Wells Fargo warned on Tuesday that its website is being targeted again by a distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attack.
The bank said most of its customers were not affected. "For customers who are having difficulty accessing the site and mobile banking, we encourage them to try logging on again as the disruption is usually intermittent," Wells Fargo said in a statement.
Wells Fargo is one of several large U.S. banks that have been targeted by cyberattacks in the past six months. A group claiming responsibility for the attacks, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters, said Wells Fargo is being targeted due to the continued availability online of a video clip that denigrates Islam.
The 14-minute trailer, available on YouTube, caused widespread protests last September in predominantly Muslim countries. Google restricted viewing in countries including India, Libya and Egypt but kept it available in most countries because it didn't violate the company's guidelines.
The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters wrote on Pastebin on Tuesday that it was also targeting Citibank, Chase Bank, SunTrust and others.
The group drew up a mock invoice, calculating the cost to a bank of a DDOS attack at about US$30,000 per minute. It contained a formula for how much the banks should lose based on the number of times the offensive video has been watched. The group did not spell out how the attacks would cost the banks money or why it was attacking those banks.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
The financial institution where this pilot fish works is moving to a new disaster recovery site, and that means arranging the transfer of several financial-market data servers -- which could take months.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy... All Financial IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Financial IT Webcasts