Wells Fargo warns of ongoing DDOS attacks
Some customers may experience intermittent access, the bank said
IDG News Service - Wells Fargo warned on Tuesday that its website is being targeted again by a distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attack.
The bank said most of its customers were not affected. "For customers who are having difficulty accessing the site and mobile banking, we encourage them to try logging on again as the disruption is usually intermittent," Wells Fargo said in a statement.
Wells Fargo is one of several large U.S. banks that have been targeted by cyberattacks in the past six months. A group claiming responsibility for the attacks, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters, said Wells Fargo is being targeted due to the continued availability online of a video clip that denigrates Islam.
The 14-minute trailer, available on YouTube, caused widespread protests last September in predominantly Muslim countries. Google restricted viewing in countries including India, Libya and Egypt but kept it available in most countries because it didn't violate the company's guidelines.
The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters wrote on Pastebin on Tuesday that it was also targeting Citibank, Chase Bank, SunTrust and others.
The group drew up a mock invoice, calculating the cost to a bank of a DDOS attack at about US$30,000 per minute. It contained a formula for how much the banks should lose based on the number of times the offensive video has been watched. The group did not spell out how the attacks would cost the banks money or why it was attacking those banks.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context
- This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk
- This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain
- This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise. All Financial IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Financial IT Webcasts