Swedish language council removes 'ungoogleable' after pressure from Google
The term is no longer on the council's list of new words
IDG News Service - The Swedish Language Council has removed "ogooglebar", or "ungoogleable," from its annual list of new words after pressure from Google to respect its trademarks.
The term was included on the council's latest list of new words that have started to make their way into the Swedish language. It is used to describe something that can not be found on the Web using a search engine. But since the list was published in December, Google has worked to influence the council's use of the word, the council said on Tuesday in a statement entitled "Google does not own the language!"
Google wanted to amend the definition of the word and also have the council add a disclaimer to the list of new words to make it clear that Google is a trademark. But that didn't sit well with the council, which has decided to remove the word.
The Language Council doesn't have the time or the energy to pursue the lengthy process that Google is trying to start, according to the council's head, Ann Cederberg. It does not want to compromise and change the definition to what Google wants; that would go against its principles, she said. Google has forgotten one thing: Language development does not care about trademark protection, she added.
The Language Council is the primary institution for language cultivation in Sweden. Its mission is to monitor the development of spoken and written Swedish and the use and status of all other languages spoken in the country, according to its website.
Google hasn't replied to questions for a comment.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Zero Downtime Migration for Oracle EBS R12 with RAC on Vblock™ Systems The validation testing of a typical customer configuration outlined in this white paper, utilizes a virtualized Oracle EBS environment. The results illustrate that...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!