Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
New features offer photo enhancements, current location display
Computerworld - Google has released updates for its Google+ apps for iPhone and Android.
Mobile Google+ users should expect to see more prominent features such as +1, a display for your current location and photo enhancements, according to Amar Gandhi, director of product management for Google+, in a blog post.
"Starting today, we're adding some of Snapseed's award-winning photo enhancements to the Google+ iPhone app," Gandhi wrote. He noted that with Snapseed, when users are sharing a photo, they can do basic edits like rotate and crop, and select filters like Drama and Retrolux. They also can adjust contrast and brightness in photos by sliding their fingers up-and-down or left-and-right.
Google+ also is trying to enable users to do and see more, with their posts.
In the updated apps, posts show more text from the original message, as well as from comments. And actions like +1, reshare and comment are displayed more prominently, according to Gandhi.
As for profiles, Google+ has made it easier for users to share, or not to share, their current location.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Petitions plead for Google Reader's life, collect 100K signatures
- In Google+ hangout, astronauts talk tech, Isaac Newton and Twitter
- Obama talks about math, online privacy and an open Internet in Google+ hangout
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!