Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
New features offer photo enhancements, current location display
Computerworld - Google has released updates for its Google+ apps for iPhone and Android.
Mobile Google+ users should expect to see more prominent features such as +1, a display for your current location and photo enhancements, according to Amar Gandhi, director of product management for Google+, in a blog post.
"Starting today, we're adding some of Snapseed's award-winning photo enhancements to the Google+ iPhone app," Gandhi wrote. He noted that with Snapseed, when users are sharing a photo, they can do basic edits like rotate and crop, and select filters like Drama and Retrolux. They also can adjust contrast and brightness in photos by sliding their fingers up-and-down or left-and-right.
Google+ also is trying to enable users to do and see more, with their posts.
In the updated apps, posts show more text from the original message, as well as from comments. And actions like +1, reshare and comment are displayed more prominently, according to Gandhi.
As for profiles, Google+ has made it easier for users to share, or not to share, their current location.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!