T-Mobile to sell iPhone 5 amid new no-contract plans
Other phones with no-contract approach include HTC One, BlackBerry Z10 and Samsung Galaxy S4
Computerworld - Amid an array of industry innovations announced today, T-Mobile USA said it will sell the iPhone 5 starting April 12 for $579, with the option of paying $99 down and $20 a month for 24 months.
The iPhone, and other smartphones, including the HTC One and Z10, can be used with three different cellular network plans that start at $50 a month for unlimited voice, text and 500MB of high-speed data. The other two plans cost $60 for an added 2 GB per month of high-speed data, and $70 for unlimited data. All three plans have unlimited voice and text.
T-Mobile said it will also offer the Samsung Galaxy S4 starting May 1, but didn't list pricing. The Blackberry Z10 will cost $532 or a down payment of $99.99 with 24 monthly payments of $18, while the HTC One will be sold for $99 on an initial down payment.
T-Mobile also said it launched LTE wireless service in seven cities today: Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Jose and Washington. Service to New York is coming soon, T-Mobile John Legere said in remarks at the New York City event.
Referring to the iPhone 5 availability, Legere said that "the experience will be beautiful day one" over several networks including the 1900 band for HSPA+, which offers speeds above 10 Mbps and theoretical speeds up to 42 Mbps.
"If you come to T-Mobile you have signed your last contract," Legere said. "If we suck this month, drop us!"
In a 30-minute presentation that included attacks on other carriers, Legere said, "We're canceling our membership in the carrier club."
He said the price for the iPhone 5 with wireless service will be $1,000 less than what AT&T charges over two years.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts