- Salary Survey 2013: Read the full report
- Interactive Smart Salary Tool 2013
- IT gets its groove back
- Tech careers: 3 ways to catch the wave
- Hot IT titles: Hybrids are in
- Opinion: Hire slowly and hire well
- Opinion: It's time to catch your own wave, people!
- How we conducted the survey
- Take part in next year's survey
- Tell us how your salary compares in our Sound Off forum
- Slideshow: Employees rate satisfaction, security and stress
Top-paying industries for IT 2013
Compare IT salaries across a sampling of industries and job titles
Computerworld - Some IT professionals fared significantly better than others this year based solely on the industry in which they work. In the 2013 Computerworld Salary Survey, the industry with the biggest increase in IT pay was mining/construction/engineering, where total compensation -- salary plus bonus -- was up 3.9% from the previous year.
Rounding out the top five in terms of increases in total compensation were energy/utilities (up 3.7%), computer-related services/consulting (up 3.5%), automotive (up 3.4%) and non-computer-related business services/consulting (up 3.1%). Of industry sectors that experienced growth, IT workers in the telecommunications sector experienced the smallest gain in the past year, with a increase in total compensation of just 0.4%.
Read the full report: Computerworld IT Salary Survey 2013
The top industries for bonuses were transportation/logistics, with an average 11.2% increase in bonuses, followed by energy/utilities at 9.9% and the nonprofit sector at 7.6%.
The largest average decreases in bonus payments were in retail trade (-6.6%), education (-2.9%) and biotech/pharmaceuticals (-2.2%).
Here's a look at the total compensation of a sampling of IT job titles by industry:
- Project manager: $99,338
- IT manager: $91,204
- Technology/business systems analyst: $88,433
- Network engineer/architect: $87,212
- Software engineer: $85,280
- Systems administrator: $76,703
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $148,831
- Director of IT: $91,852
- IT manager: $85,229
- Systems administrator: $70,148
- Network administrator*: $55,365
- Help desk/tech support specialist: $48,865
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $137,308
- Director of IT*: $103,083
- IT manager: $92,111
- Programmer/analyst*: $80,019
- Systems administrator*: $76,291
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $52,744
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $178,640
- Director of IT: $114,706
- IT manager: $88,807
- Systems analyst*: $76,085
- Systems administrator*: $74,338
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $56,015
LEGAL & INSURANCE
- CIO/vice president of IT**: $199,850
- Director of IT*: $125,844
- IT manager*: $109,621
- Technology/business systems analyst**: $83,805
- Systems administrator**: $81,138
- Help desk/tech support specialist**: $56,107
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $162,824
- Director of IT*: $145,260
- IT manager: $99,037
- Systems administrator*: $65,602
- Network administrator*: $63,129
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $55,586
* More than 15 responses but fewer than 30
** Fewer than 15 responses
IT Salaries 2013
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts