- Salary Survey 2013: Read the full report
- Interactive Smart Salary Tool 2013
- IT gets its groove back
- Tech careers: 3 ways to catch the wave
- Hot IT titles: Hybrids are in
- Opinion: Hire slowly and hire well
- Opinion: It's time to catch your own wave, people!
- How we conducted the survey
- Take part in next year's survey
- Tell us how your salary compares in our Sound Off forum
- Slideshow: Employees rate satisfaction, security and stress
Top-paying industries for IT 2013
Compare IT salaries across a sampling of industries and job titles
Computerworld - Some IT professionals fared significantly better than others this year based solely on the industry in which they work. In the 2013 Computerworld Salary Survey, the industry with the biggest increase in IT pay was mining/construction/engineering, where total compensation -- salary plus bonus -- was up 3.9% from the previous year.
Rounding out the top five in terms of increases in total compensation were energy/utilities (up 3.7%), computer-related services/consulting (up 3.5%), automotive (up 3.4%) and non-computer-related business services/consulting (up 3.1%). Of industry sectors that experienced growth, IT workers in the telecommunications sector experienced the smallest gain in the past year, with a increase in total compensation of just 0.4%.
Read the full report: Computerworld IT Salary Survey 2013
The top industries for bonuses were transportation/logistics, with an average 11.2% increase in bonuses, followed by energy/utilities at 9.9% and the nonprofit sector at 7.6%.
The largest average decreases in bonus payments were in retail trade (-6.6%), education (-2.9%) and biotech/pharmaceuticals (-2.2%).
Here's a look at the total compensation of a sampling of IT job titles by industry:
- Project manager: $99,338
- IT manager: $91,204
- Technology/business systems analyst: $88,433
- Network engineer/architect: $87,212
- Software engineer: $85,280
- Systems administrator: $76,703
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $148,831
- Director of IT: $91,852
- IT manager: $85,229
- Systems administrator: $70,148
- Network administrator*: $55,365
- Help desk/tech support specialist: $48,865
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $137,308
- Director of IT*: $103,083
- IT manager: $92,111
- Programmer/analyst*: $80,019
- Systems administrator*: $76,291
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $52,744
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $178,640
- Director of IT: $114,706
- IT manager: $88,807
- Systems analyst*: $76,085
- Systems administrator*: $74,338
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $56,015
LEGAL & INSURANCE
- CIO/vice president of IT**: $199,850
- Director of IT*: $125,844
- IT manager*: $109,621
- Technology/business systems analyst**: $83,805
- Systems administrator**: $81,138
- Help desk/tech support specialist**: $56,107
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $162,824
- Director of IT*: $145,260
- IT manager: $99,037
- Systems administrator*: $65,602
- Network administrator*: $63,129
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $55,586
* More than 15 responses but fewer than 30
** Fewer than 15 responses
IT Salaries 2013
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts