- Salary Survey 2013: Read the full report
- Interactive Smart Salary Tool 2013
- IT gets its groove back
- Tech careers: 3 ways to catch the wave
- Hot IT titles: Hybrids are in
- Opinion: Hire slowly and hire well
- Opinion: It's time to catch your own wave, people!
- How we conducted the survey
- Take part in next year's survey
- Tell us how your salary compares in our Sound Off forum
- Slideshow: Employees rate satisfaction, security and stress
Top-paying industries for IT 2013
Compare IT salaries across a sampling of industries and job titles
Computerworld - Some IT professionals fared significantly better than others this year based solely on the industry in which they work. In the 2013 Computerworld Salary Survey, the industry with the biggest increase in IT pay was mining/construction/engineering, where total compensation -- salary plus bonus -- was up 3.9% from the previous year.
Rounding out the top five in terms of increases in total compensation were energy/utilities (up 3.7%), computer-related services/consulting (up 3.5%), automotive (up 3.4%) and non-computer-related business services/consulting (up 3.1%). Of industry sectors that experienced growth, IT workers in the telecommunications sector experienced the smallest gain in the past year, with a increase in total compensation of just 0.4%.
Read the full report: Computerworld IT Salary Survey 2013
The top industries for bonuses were transportation/logistics, with an average 11.2% increase in bonuses, followed by energy/utilities at 9.9% and the nonprofit sector at 7.6%.
The largest average decreases in bonus payments were in retail trade (-6.6%), education (-2.9%) and biotech/pharmaceuticals (-2.2%).
Here's a look at the total compensation of a sampling of IT job titles by industry:
- Project manager: $99,338
- IT manager: $91,204
- Technology/business systems analyst: $88,433
- Network engineer/architect: $87,212
- Software engineer: $85,280
- Systems administrator: $76,703
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $148,831
- Director of IT: $91,852
- IT manager: $85,229
- Systems administrator: $70,148
- Network administrator*: $55,365
- Help desk/tech support specialist: $48,865
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $137,308
- Director of IT*: $103,083
- IT manager: $92,111
- Programmer/analyst*: $80,019
- Systems administrator*: $76,291
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $52,744
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $178,640
- Director of IT: $114,706
- IT manager: $88,807
- Systems analyst*: $76,085
- Systems administrator*: $74,338
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $56,015
LEGAL & INSURANCE
- CIO/vice president of IT**: $199,850
- Director of IT*: $125,844
- IT manager*: $109,621
- Technology/business systems analyst**: $83,805
- Systems administrator**: $81,138
- Help desk/tech support specialist**: $56,107
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $162,824
- Director of IT*: $145,260
- IT manager: $99,037
- Systems administrator*: $65,602
- Network administrator*: $63,129
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $55,586
* More than 15 responses but fewer than 30
** Fewer than 15 responses
IT Salaries 2013
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts