Emerging tech keeps cities running
Computerworld - In Boston, residents are using city-provided apps to improve municipal operations, that city's CIO, Bill Oates, told attendees of a recent IBM conference in Las Vegas. And one of the city's newest mobile apps, Street Bump, piqued the interest of one of Oates' fellow pubic servants, Gary Gilot, an engineer who heads the public works board in South Bend, Ind.
Street Bump uses a smartphone's accelerometer to record road conditions and then sends the data to the city. It has already helped utilities do a better job of keeping the tops of manhole covers even with the surfaces of roads, Oates said.
The app is part of Boston's Citizens Connect system, which allows residents to report problems such as trash, broken streetlights or graffiti to city officials.
Now going on Version 4.0, the Citizens Connect program is set to be deployed statewide, initially in more than 50 communities.
Gilot said he was impressed by Street Bump's use of crowdsourcing as a way to amass data about road conditions. "I love the idea of the future -- that you can avoid the expense by crowdsourcing," he said.
South Bend has taken some low-tech approaches to that problem. It once had city supervisors drive every street in town to rate road conditions.
However, South Bend has gone high tech in other areas. The city worked with IBM to create a wireless sensor network that detects changes in sewer flow and alerts the city to problems. The system has reduced overflows and backups, Gilot said.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts