JPMorgan Chase customers see zero balances after technical glitch
Customers speculated on Twitter that the bank's systems had been hacked
IDG News Service - Customers of JPMorgan Chase reported seeing zero balances in their accounts both online and on mobile, and speculated that the bank's systems had been hacked.
The bank however clarified late Monday that it was having a technology problem regarding customers' balance information that it was working to resolve.
"Almost had a heart attack... Haven't checked my balance in a little bit but it read zero. Gotta be an early April Fool joke or something," wrote one user on Twitter. Some others suggested that the bank's systems may have been hacked.
"It has nothing to do with the cyber threats - it's an internal issue. We are very sorry to our customers for the inconvenience," the bank said in a statement.
"Customers are unable to view their checking account balances online and on mobile. We will keep you updated as we learn more," Chase support said in an alert on Twitter. It later said, "We're back to business as usual on Chase.com & Mobile." Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase.
The bank did not disclose how many customers were affected, or what the technical problem was that affected its services.
The speculation on social networks like Twitter that the bank was hacked was probably based on DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks that U.S. banks have faced in recent months. A group calling itself "Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters," for example, launched DDoS attacks on the websites of several U.S. banks during September and October, disrupting online and mobile banking services for long periods.
The website of Chase was down about a week ago, according to reports.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts