Judge ignores leniency plea, hands AT&T hacker a 41-month-sentence
The federal complaint against the two defendants contained numerous excerpts of interviews with the media where Aurenheimer boasted of his hacking abilities and the disruption caused by those actions. One excerpt is from a 2008 interview with The New York Times where Auernheimer is quoted as saying, "I hack, I ruin, I make piles of money. I make people afraid for their lives."
The pre-sentencing memo filed by prosecutors last week noted that Auernheimer had at no point shown any remorse for his actions even after being convicted. They pointed to an interview with Gawker where Auernheimer had disparaged the judge as a "mean bitch" and had insisted that he felt absolutely no contrition over what he had done.
Auernheimer was found guilty in November on charges of conspiracy to access a computer without authorization and fraud in connection with personal information. Spitler pleaded guilty to similar charges and is awaiting sentencing.
Jaikumar Vijayan covers data security and privacy issues, financial services security and e-voting for Computerworld. Follow Jaikumar on Twitter at @jaivijayan or subscribe to Jaikumar's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Cybercrime and Hacking in Computerworld's Cybercrime and Hacking Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts