Pinterest launches new look, more tools
Users should look for an email invite to check out the changes to the site
Computerworld - Social pinboard site interest began rolling out a redesign to its users today.
Users should watch their email for an invitation from Pinterest to check out the changes, according to the company. The social pinboard site, which opened its doors to the public last August, is giving users bigger images, or pins, more information and better navigation tools.
"In January, we asked a small group of pinners to test a new look designed to make discovering things on Pinterest easier," wrote Jason Wilson, lead product designer with Pinterest, in a blog post. "Since then, we've talked to some of these folks, analyzed their feedback, and made a few changes. Today, we're thrilled to start sharing the new look with everyone."
The redesign includes new features for close-up views of pins that are designed to help users find new things on the site, Wilson said. For instance, users now can explore an entire board without leaving the page they were on. It's also easier to find pins from the same website and from the same person.
The feature that makes it easier to find other pins from the same person is expected to be added to the mobile apps for the Android and iOS platforms.
"We also responded to some feedback from pinners who told us they hated losing their place while browsing," wrote Wilson. "Now, when you scroll through pins and click on something that interests you, the back button lands you right back where you were no matter how far you've gone."
He also noted that people will see bigger pins and what he calls "subtle" changes to the site.
"We wanted to make things simpler and cleaner, without requiring you to learn anything new," said Wilson.
Pinterest is like a shareable online scrapbook or a collection of collections. Users can create pages of interest by pulling in images from around the Web. If someone spots an image - of a inspirational saying, a stylish outfit or a beautiful cake, for example -- she can use a plugin to grab it and add it to her board.
People who follow the user can see her pinboards, repin their favorite images and comment on them.
The site offers a look into the people forming the collections as much as it does into the worlds of religion, fashion, gardening, cooking and travel.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts