Facebook quickly fixes privacy leak in new timeline, group says
The leak allowed 'friends of friends' to see events another person attended
IDG News Service - Facebook quickly fixed a privacy leak in its new timeline after being alerted to the problem, according to a watchdog that follows the social networking site closely.
Europe v. Facebook, an Austrian student organization that has filed complaints in Europe over Facebook's privacy practices, said it found the redesign allowed "friends of friends" to see all of the events a user attended even if the person's privacy settings only permitted their friends to see the events.
"Users were able to look through often times thousands of past events users were invited to, including demonstrations or gay parties," the group said in a media release.
The timeline changes also allowed someone to see batches of event activity under a heading called "events," according to Europe v. Facebook. Details of events attended can be deleted, but it must be done manually, which Europe v. Facebook said could take "hours."
After it was notified, Facebook fixed the problem within a couple of hours by getting rid of the "events" heading, Europe v. Facebook said.
Most users have not seen the new changes to the timeline because Facebook has not upgraded all users to it, Europe v. Facebook said. Facebook announced the changes last Wednesday, which it said would roll out to users over a few weeks.
Facebook officials could not be immediately reached on Sunday.
Europe v. Facebook filed 22 complaints with the Irish Data Protection Commissioner (DPC) in August and September 2011 related to Facebook's privacy and data handling practices.
Facebook committed to changing how it retains data and changed some privacy controls following a critical audit by the regulator released in December 2011. Europe v. Facebook, unsatisfied with the changes, has continued to press the DPC for more action.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts