Facebook quickly fixes privacy leak in new timeline, group says
The leak allowed 'friends of friends' to see events another person attended
IDG News Service - Facebook quickly fixed a privacy leak in its new timeline after being alerted to the problem, according to a watchdog that follows the social networking site closely.
Europe v. Facebook, an Austrian student organization that has filed complaints in Europe over Facebook's privacy practices, said it found the redesign allowed "friends of friends" to see all of the events a user attended even if the person's privacy settings only permitted their friends to see the events.
"Users were able to look through often times thousands of past events users were invited to, including demonstrations or gay parties," the group said in a media release.
The timeline changes also allowed someone to see batches of event activity under a heading called "events," according to Europe v. Facebook. Details of events attended can be deleted, but it must be done manually, which Europe v. Facebook said could take "hours."
After it was notified, Facebook fixed the problem within a couple of hours by getting rid of the "events" heading, Europe v. Facebook said.
Most users have not seen the new changes to the timeline because Facebook has not upgraded all users to it, Europe v. Facebook said. Facebook announced the changes last Wednesday, which it said would roll out to users over a few weeks.
Facebook officials could not be immediately reached on Sunday.
Europe v. Facebook filed 22 complaints with the Irish Data Protection Commissioner (DPC) in August and September 2011 related to Facebook's privacy and data handling practices.
Facebook committed to changing how it retains data and changed some privacy controls following a critical audit by the regulator released in December 2011. Europe v. Facebook, unsatisfied with the changes, has continued to press the DPC for more action.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!