Google Reader, several other services, axed
A total of eight products and services are to be axed in the current round of spring cleaning
IDG News Service - Google is shutting down its Google Reader and seven other products and services, taking the total number of features or services shut since its "spring cleaning" began in 2011 to 70.
The company said it needed to focus to take advantage of new opportunities, rather than spread itself "too thin and lack impact." But there have been protests against Google's decision to shut down the reader on online forums, including petitions on Change.org.
Google Reader, which still has a loyal following, was launched in 2005 to help people keep track of favorite websites using RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds.
But its usage has declined over the years and Google will shut down the service by July 1, wrote Urs HAPlzle, Google's senior vice president for technical infrastructure and a Google Fellow, in a blog post on Wednesday.
"Users and developers interested in RSS alternatives can export their data, including their subscriptions, with Google Takeout over the course of the next four months," he wrote.
JR Raphael: Please, Google, don't kill Google Reader
Richi Jennings: Google Reader alternatives roundup; RSS FTW!
Barbara Krasnoff: Should the demise of Google Reader teach us a lesson?
While announcing another round of closures in 2011, Google said it will continue to take risks on interesting new technologies with a lot of potential. "But by targeting our resources more effectively, we can focus on building world-changing products with a truly beautiful user experience," it added.
The current round of cuts affects products and services such as GUI Builder and five UiApp widgets for developers, Search API for Shopping and photo-editing application Snapseed Desktop for Macintosh and Windows.
Google Building Maker, which helped users make three-dimensional building models for Google Earth and Maps, will be shut down on June 1, and users are being asked to use Google Map Maker to add building information such as outlines and heights to Google Maps.
The Internet giant also discontinued Google Cloud Connect, a plug-in that automatically saved Microsoft Office files from Windows PCs to the cloud on Google Drive. Installing Google Drive on the desktop achieves the same thing more effectively, and Drive works on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS devices, HAPlzle wrote. Google also plans to stop support from next week for the Google Voice app for BlackBerry smartphones, instead recommending its HTML5 app to users who want to continue using Google Voice..
On Twitter, many users did not take kindly to Google's decision to shut down Google Reader, with many recommending alternative RSS feeds organizers and readers. Some users have also petitioned Google not to shut down the service. On Change.org, a petition to Google by user Daniel Lewis in New York already had 6,272 supporters late Wednesday, while another by user, Tim Wilson of San Francisco, had over 1,000 supporters.
Google Reader may not be the most exciting feature but it is useful, wrote Wilson in his petition. "Please don't shut it down!" he added. "This isn't just about our data in Reader. This is about us using your product because we love it, because it makes our lives better, and because we trust you not to nuke it," Lewis wrote.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts