Twitter for Windows 8 released
New app adds tablet-friendly landscape view, Windows charms and notifications
IDG News Service - Twitter has released an app for Windows 8, with several features designed specifically for the new operating system from Microsoft.
The company said the app features two Windows charms for searching and making posts on Twitter. The search feature is similar to existing Twitter apps, allowing users to find specific accounts or filter by hashtags, while the other allows them to make posts using photos or text from a separate app.
Charms on Windows 8 and Windows RT are presented as icons in a menu bar that can be summoned on the right side of the screen. They provide features that link currently launched apps to the system or other apps, like search or sharing data, as well as access to system features like settings.
The new Twitter app also works with the Windows 8 notification system, providing pop-up updates on users' Twitter feeds when using separate apps, as well as Live Tiles for the start screen that displays recent tweets.
Twitter's new app also has several tablet-friendly features, including landscape view for showing larger version of photos posted by other users as well as swipe and tap controls enlarging photos or shuffling between them.
The new app was released Wednesday in the U.S. The company also released line breaks in tweets, a feature that drew a mixed response online. Earlier this month the company said it would retire its TweetDeck application for mobile phones, focusing instead on the Web version.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!