Twitter for Windows 8 released
New app adds tablet-friendly landscape view, Windows charms and notifications
IDG News Service - Twitter has released an app for Windows 8, with several features designed specifically for the new operating system from Microsoft.
The company said the app features two Windows charms for searching and making posts on Twitter. The search feature is similar to existing Twitter apps, allowing users to find specific accounts or filter by hashtags, while the other allows them to make posts using photos or text from a separate app.
Charms on Windows 8 and Windows RT are presented as icons in a menu bar that can be summoned on the right side of the screen. They provide features that link currently launched apps to the system or other apps, like search or sharing data, as well as access to system features like settings.
The new Twitter app also works with the Windows 8 notification system, providing pop-up updates on users' Twitter feeds when using separate apps, as well as Live Tiles for the start screen that displays recent tweets.
Twitter's new app also has several tablet-friendly features, including landscape view for showing larger version of photos posted by other users as well as swipe and tap controls enlarging photos or shuffling between them.
The new app was released Wednesday in the U.S. The company also released line breaks in tweets, a feature that drew a mixed response online. Earlier this month the company said it would retire its TweetDeck application for mobile phones, focusing instead on the Web version.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!