Twitter for Windows 8 released
New app adds tablet-friendly landscape view, Windows charms and notifications
IDG News Service - Twitter has released an app for Windows 8, with several features designed specifically for the new operating system from Microsoft.
The company said the app features two Windows charms for searching and making posts on Twitter. The search feature is similar to existing Twitter apps, allowing users to find specific accounts or filter by hashtags, while the other allows them to make posts using photos or text from a separate app.
Charms on Windows 8 and Windows RT are presented as icons in a menu bar that can be summoned on the right side of the screen. They provide features that link currently launched apps to the system or other apps, like search or sharing data, as well as access to system features like settings.
The new Twitter app also works with the Windows 8 notification system, providing pop-up updates on users' Twitter feeds when using separate apps, as well as Live Tiles for the start screen that displays recent tweets.
Twitter's new app also has several tablet-friendly features, including landscape view for showing larger version of photos posted by other users as well as swipe and tap controls enlarging photos or shuffling between them.
The new app was released Wednesday in the U.S. The company also released line breaks in tweets, a feature that drew a mixed response online. Earlier this month the company said it would retire its TweetDeck application for mobile phones, focusing instead on the Web version.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them This E-Book reviews five major challenges of BYOA with key subject matter experts and outlines how businesses can solve them.
- The BYOA Opportunity Visual demonstration of problems that unmonitored, employee-introduced cloud apps can cause a business, and why IT managers need a solution to help and...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts