Microsoft has access issues with Hotmail, Outlook, SkyDrive services
The company said it was working to restore access, while users complained they were unable to use their accounts
IDG News Service - Microsoft experienced disruptions for several hours to its online suite of mail, calendar and storage services, leaving many users unable to access their accounts.
The problems occurred Tuesday evening in the U.S. Microsoft posted a series of status updates for its Outlook and Hotmail services showing the issues in its online email were unresolved nearly four hours after they were first flagged.
"We're having a problem accessing email. You might not be able to see all your email messages. We're working to restore service right now," the company posted.
Over three hours later a second message was posted, saying Microsoft was still working on the issue and promising an update.
Microsoft is in the middle of moving users over from its aging but popular Hotmail service to its new Outlook.com. Many online speculated the issues stemmed from the company's ongoing migration to the newer service, which the company hopes to complete by summer.
A Microsoft spokesman in Tokyo said she had no immediate comment on the issues.
The company also reported issues with its calendar service Tuesday afternoon, first saying it was "performing maintenance," then came back over eight hours later and said "The problem has been fixed." Its SkyDrive online storage service reported three hours of problems related to "adding, editing or removing files."
Users took to Twitter to vent their frustrations. Many said they were unable to check their mail and some asked friends to use alternative methods to reach them.
"I thought I was getting any mail, then realized Outlook was dead," posted one user.
Outlook.com, the company's refurbished online email service, is a major effort by Microsoft to rejuvenate its popular but aging Hotmail property, with a clean, slick interface and integration with social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
The company said last month that after a six-month "Preview" period it would take the service mainstream and begin migrating its Hotmail users over, with everyone moved by summer of this year.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts