Mammoth Asus tablet-desktop hybrid combines Android, Windows 8
Transformer AiO all-in-one can be either an Android tablet or a Windows 8 desktop
IDG News Service - Asustek has announced it will soon begin U.S. shipments of an all-in-one PC that can be an Android 4.1 tablet or a fully functional desktop running Windows 8 when attached to a docking station.
The Transformer AiO will become available early in the second quarter starting at $1,299, Asus said in a statement. The company did not immediately comment on worldwide availability.
The 18.4-inch tablet weighs 2.28 kilograms and is oversized compared to tablets with 10.1-inch screens, so it can be difficult to carry on the road. But it provides more mobility around a home compared to regular all-in-ones, in which the screens are attached to base.
In addition to Android, the tablet can also connect to the docking station wirelessly to become a remote virtual desktop and run Windows 8.
Asus claims the tablet delivers five hours of battery life. The multitouch screen can display images at a full high-definition resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels. The tablet hardware includes Nvidia's Tegra 3 quad-core processor, which has an ARM Cortex-A9 processor.
The tablet transforms into a full desktop PC when connected to the dock, which has separate hardware for the all-in-one to run Windows 8. It has an Intel Core i5 processor based on the Ivy Bridge microarchitecture. The dock, which Asus calls a PC Station, has an Nvidia GeForce GT730M graphics processor, 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, four USB 3.0 ports, HDMI port, memory card slot, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0.
The tablet has 2GB of RAM, a front-facing camera, mini-USB 2.0 port, Wi-Fi and a battery. It also has a micro-SD slot for expandable storage of up to 32GB of data. A handle on top of the screen helps move the tablet around.
This unique all-in-one was introduced at last year's Computex trade show, where Asus Chairman Jonney Shih called the Transformer AiO the world's biggest tablet. The product name is borrowed from the Asus' Transformer line of Android tablets.
But it is the world's biggest tablet no longer. Panasonic earlier this year showed off a 20-inch tablet with a 4K screen that can display images at a resolution of 3840-by-2160 pixels, primarily for multimedia tasks like video editing and playback. Toshiba earlier launched a tablet with a 13.3-inch screen, but the company has since discontinued tablets.
All-in-ones usually have screens more than 20 inches, and computer-makers view them as stationary PCs meant to sit on desks. Many all-in-ones are being used in living rooms or as desktop replacements. Many businesses use all-in-ones in stores to take orders or to display interactive advertisements.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Apple-ization of the Enterprise The growing wave of BYOD and increasing numbers of Apple hardware in the workplace holds major implications and opportunity for today's software companies.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts