Microsoft equips Visual Studio for Office app-building
Visual Studio developers now can use templates to quickly build apps for Microsoft Office and SharePoint
IDG News Service - Microsoft has released a collection of tools that will help Visual Studio 2012 users more easily write add-on applications for Microsoft Office 2013, SharePoint 2013 and Microsoft's Office 365 hosted service.
The packages could be handy for longtime Visual Studio users, given the number of new technologies Microsoft is supporting in these office products. The new releases of Office and SharePoint will allow developers to use emerging Web technologies, in addition to the ones they are already familiar with, said Sean Laberee, a Microsoft senior program manager lead in developer engineering, in an email interview.
Once the free package is installed, developers can specify to Visual Studio that they are starting a new Office or SharePoint app, rather than a generic new project. The Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 package includes a number of templates and other add-ins to more easily create, test and package apps that run in all current releases of Office and SharePoint. Users are given templates and tools for three types of apps: task pane apps (apps appear in the task pane of an Office application), content apps (apps that appear inside of the document's content), and mail apps for Outlook 2013 and Outlook Web Access.
With these tools, developers can also extend SharePoint 2013 functionality to end users who do not have SharePoint clients on their local machines. The add-ins also work well with Microsoft's Napa development environment, which allows developers to build Office 365 and SharePoint apps in a browser, then transfer them to Visual Studio to build out with additional capabilities.
"The new Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 create a tremendous opportunity for developers to reach a wide audience of potential users," wrote Laberee. "With the addition of third-party apps, Office 365 enables developers to deploy to the cloud and enriches the Office experience for all Office users."
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts