IDC says tech spending will grow by 6% this year, the same rate as 2012
Sequester, fiscal cliff and ongoing problems in Europe seen keeping growth rate flat
Computerworld - IDC is predicting a growth rate of 6% in IT spending in the U.S. this year, an amount that's virtually unchanged from last year.
The market research firm blamed a number of economic uncertainties for this flat spending increase, including the the fiscal cliff, the potential for a GDP contraction and the ongoing problems in Europe.
The growth rate might be "slightly higher" if not for the sequester, but the IDC doesn't say how much higher because of other uncertainties, according to Natasha Menon, an analyst in IDC's Global Technology and Industry Research Organization.
The sequester, a series of automatic spending cuts to the federal budget, is cutting federal spending this year by $85 billion.
IDC projects that total IT spending on hardware, software and services will reach $474 billion this year.
Forrester Research is cutting its growth estimate for the year by 1% because of the sequester. What had been originally a projected 7.5% increase will now be in the range of 6.5%, the research firm said Friday.
IT spending is expected to be the strongest in Arizona, North Dakota, Utah and Texas, with rates at more than 7%, said IDC.
The growth in those states is being driven by a high percentage of healthcare, manufacturing, and professional services businesses in those states.
- How a private Dell works with customers, and sees its rivals
- Update: SanDisk agrees to pay $1.1 billion flash storage maker Fusion-io
- CompTIA now offers its research without charge
- Microsoft's new CEO and his first-100-days plan
- Personal history may thrust new Microsoft CEO into visa debate
- As Dell cuts, Apple adds jobs in Austin
- Dell cuts 'small percentage' of workforce
- Lenovo's Motorola, IBM server buys will likely get strict U.S. security review
- Welcome to the era of radical innovation
- China passes Japan to become world's 2nd largest IT market
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts