Back up your website: 10 WordPress plugins that keep your data safe
This simple plugin allows you to back up your WordPress site files and databases directly into your Dropbox account. Since Dropbox allows you to sync your data to multiple machines, WordPress Backup to Dropbox makes for a pseudo-redundant backup solution.
Once the plugin has uploaded your backup to your Dropbox account, the backup will then sync with all devices associated with the account. With this solution, you could easily restore your WordPress site from any machine with access to your Dropbox account.
After WPB2D is installed, you have to authorize the plugin to access your Dropbox account. Upon successful authentication, the backup configuration appears, and you need only set up the day, time and frequency. For anyone concerned with security, the WordPress Backup to Dropbox plugin takes advantage of OAuth (an open standard that allows end users to grant authentication privileges to third-party providers), so Dropbox credentials aren't retained on a third-party server.
The one caveat to WPB2D is the size limitation in the Dropbox free accounts. Should your WordPress backup exceed the 2GB limit, your backup will fail. In that case, you will need to purchase additional storage from Dropbox.
XCloner is a third-party PHP/MySQL backup application that also includes a WordPress plugin. With XCloner you can back up every aspect of your WordPress site and restore to any server that supports WordPress.
XCloner's restore tool works in similar fashion to BackupBuddy: Create a full backup (or select a previously created backup), clone the backup, enter the FTP details for the target server, submit the files to the target, point a browser to http://address-of-target-server/Xcloner.php and walk through the restore wizard.
Unfortunately, the free version of XCloner doesn't offer much in the way of direct support. However, there is a community-driven forum where you can post questions, which are answered fairly quickly. If you need a more commercial approach to support, XCloner can oblige for 9.95 euros/month, 49.95 euros/year or 99.95 euros for unlimited support.
If your WordPress site contains sensitive data, XCloner does provide a built-in security layer. There is one caveat, though: Even with the backup encrypted, XCloner stores the backup with permissions set in such a way that anyone can download the file (so long as they have access to the directory containing the backup file). You are better off storing your backup outside of the document root of your Web server (configured in the "Backup store path" option in the General tab of the XCloner setup).
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts