Sony releases Firefox OS software for developers
But the company still hasn't decided if it will do a commercial phone or not
IDG News Service - Sony Mobile will provide an experimental version of the Firefox OS on one of its smartphones so that advanced developers can try it out and start working on applications.
Earlier this week, Sony said it is evaluating the Firefox OS platform for use on future smartphones. To show its current progress, the company is now providing an experimental version to run on the Xperia E, it said in a blog post on Wednesday that also details how to install the software.
The first phones using the OS are all powered by Qualcomm processors and will be offered by Alcatel One Touch, LG Electronics and ZTE starting this summer, according to Mozilla. Huawei Technologies also said it will also come out with products later this year.
Sony is taking a more cautions approach, and has said it will "investigate emerging technologies such as the Firefox OS platform to extend Sony's premium product portfolio to a wider customer base" with TelefA3nica, which is a big proponent of Mozilla's OS.
The software isn't intended for daily use, and has several limitations. For example, there is no radio connectivity, which means developers cannot make any phone calls or use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Also, the touch sensitivity is not fully calibrated, according to Sony.
The Xperia E has a 3.5-inch screen and is powered by 1GHz processor, which is the same spec as ZTE's first Firefox OS-based smartphone, the Open.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!