MicroStrategy sells off contact center software division
Genesys buys Angel for $110 million
IDG News Service - Business Intelligence tool maker MicroStrategy is getting out of the contact center software business, having sold off its Angel subsidiary to Genesys for roughly $110 million in cash. The deal is expected to close in March.
Angel offers an array of cloud-based, self-service contact center products, with interactive voice response, chat and other capabilities. Angel has developed a series of customer service applications specialized for various industries, such as banking and health care, according to a statement released Tuesday.
For Genesys, the acquisition "will transform cloud-based self-service contact center solutions for businesses of all sizes around the globe," Genesys CEO Paul Segre said in a statement. Genesys already has a wide array of contact center and customer service software, but the addition of Angel will bring its annual recurring cloud revenue to more than $85 million, according to the company.
MicroStrategy's brief announcement didn't provide a rationale for the pending deal. A spokesman for the company didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.
One possibility is that MicroStrategy's leadership simply decided Angel wasn't crucial to its future direction.
MicroStrategy remains one of the industry's largest independent players in BI. But it has made a series of steps outside that category in recent times, adding areas such as mobile application development and e-commerce to its plate, Ovum analyst Fredrik Tunvall said in a recent blog post.
However, "MicroStrategy needs to tread carefully so it doesn't become a jack of all trades and master of none," Tunvall added. "Specifically, Ovum believes the company needs to show a common thread (for example, unified platform, metadata exchange, data synchronization) for its offerings in BI, mobile application development, and e-commerce."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts