MicroStrategy sells off contact center software division
Genesys buys Angel for $110 million
IDG News Service - Business Intelligence tool maker MicroStrategy is getting out of the contact center software business, having sold off its Angel subsidiary to Genesys for roughly $110 million in cash. The deal is expected to close in March.
Angel offers an array of cloud-based, self-service contact center products, with interactive voice response, chat and other capabilities. Angel has developed a series of customer service applications specialized for various industries, such as banking and health care, according to a statement released Tuesday.
For Genesys, the acquisition "will transform cloud-based self-service contact center solutions for businesses of all sizes around the globe," Genesys CEO Paul Segre said in a statement. Genesys already has a wide array of contact center and customer service software, but the addition of Angel will bring its annual recurring cloud revenue to more than $85 million, according to the company.
MicroStrategy's brief announcement didn't provide a rationale for the pending deal. A spokesman for the company didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.
One possibility is that MicroStrategy's leadership simply decided Angel wasn't crucial to its future direction.
MicroStrategy remains one of the industry's largest independent players in BI. But it has made a series of steps outside that category in recent times, adding areas such as mobile application development and e-commerce to its plate, Ovum analyst Fredrik Tunvall said in a recent blog post.
However, "MicroStrategy needs to tread carefully so it doesn't become a jack of all trades and master of none," Tunvall added. "Specifically, Ovum believes the company needs to show a common thread (for example, unified platform, metadata exchange, data synchronization) for its offerings in BI, mobile application development, and e-commerce."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Best Practices in SAS Data Management for Big Data Big data trends and related technologies are becoming important to organizations of all types and sizes. This paper introduces the most important technologies...
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- Understanding Big Data Quality for Maximum Information Usability In this paper we examine some of the challenges presented by managing the quality and governance of big data, and how those can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!