MicroStrategy sells off contact center software division
Genesys buys Angel for $110 million
IDG News Service - Business Intelligence tool maker MicroStrategy is getting out of the contact center software business, having sold off its Angel subsidiary to Genesys for roughly $110 million in cash. The deal is expected to close in March.
Angel offers an array of cloud-based, self-service contact center products, with interactive voice response, chat and other capabilities. Angel has developed a series of customer service applications specialized for various industries, such as banking and health care, according to a statement released Tuesday.
For Genesys, the acquisition "will transform cloud-based self-service contact center solutions for businesses of all sizes around the globe," Genesys CEO Paul Segre said in a statement. Genesys already has a wide array of contact center and customer service software, but the addition of Angel will bring its annual recurring cloud revenue to more than $85 million, according to the company.
MicroStrategy's brief announcement didn't provide a rationale for the pending deal. A spokesman for the company didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.
One possibility is that MicroStrategy's leadership simply decided Angel wasn't crucial to its future direction.
MicroStrategy remains one of the industry's largest independent players in BI. But it has made a series of steps outside that category in recent times, adding areas such as mobile application development and e-commerce to its plate, Ovum analyst Fredrik Tunvall said in a recent blog post.
However, "MicroStrategy needs to tread carefully so it doesn't become a jack of all trades and master of none," Tunvall added. "Specifically, Ovum believes the company needs to show a common thread (for example, unified platform, metadata exchange, data synchronization) for its offerings in BI, mobile application development, and e-commerce."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- Building an Intelligence-Driven Security Operations Center The openness of today's networks and the growing sophistication of advanced threats make it almost impossible to prevent cyber attacks and intrusions.
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!