CIO - When Tod Caflisch joined the New Orleans Hornets as vice president of IT in 2007, the entire pro basketball franchise was returning from a unplanned two-year stay in Oklahoma following Hurricane Katrina. While the team's tenure in Oklahoma City proved a boon for that city's basketball fans, it was a situation no one wanted to repeat.
"It was a crash and burn when the hurricane hit," says Caflisch. Tape backups to an Iron Mountain offsite were the sum total of the IT's disaster preparedness. "Priority number one for me was to put a legitimate business-continuity and disaster-recovery plan in place before the next hurricane."
Caflisch opted for a replicated hot site, created and hosted by Venyu in Baton Rouge, La. "New Orleans is six feet under [sea level], so flooding--and access to facilities because of flooding--was something we had to address," he says. "The sole dependence that was ultimately out of our control was power." Battery backups will buy a data center only so much time. Venyu's site is located close enough to be convenient if the Hornets need to move operations staff to the hot site, and yet far enough away that "there was never a single hurricane that took them both out," Caflisch says.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!