CIO - When Tod Caflisch joined the New Orleans Hornets as vice president of IT in 2007, the entire pro basketball franchise was returning from a unplanned two-year stay in Oklahoma following Hurricane Katrina. While the team's tenure in Oklahoma City proved a boon for that city's basketball fans, it was a situation no one wanted to repeat.
"It was a crash and burn when the hurricane hit," says Caflisch. Tape backups to an Iron Mountain offsite were the sum total of the IT's disaster preparedness. "Priority number one for me was to put a legitimate business-continuity and disaster-recovery plan in place before the next hurricane."
Caflisch opted for a replicated hot site, created and hosted by Venyu in Baton Rouge, La. "New Orleans is six feet under [sea level], so flooding--and access to facilities because of flooding--was something we had to address," he says. "The sole dependence that was ultimately out of our control was power." Battery backups will buy a data center only so much time. Venyu's site is located close enough to be convenient if the Hornets need to move operations staff to the hot site, and yet far enough away that "there was never a single hurricane that took them both out," Caflisch says.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- How Backup Disk Architecture Impacts the Backup Window This paper compares disk based backup architectures, the impact that data deduplication has on backup performance, and how well the solution scales as...
- How Data Deduplication Impacts Recovery Data deduplication has clear benefits when it comes to efficiently retaining backup data on disk and replicating data offsite for disaster recovery --...
- Pre-Engineered solutions from VCE Simplify Core Infrastructure Implementation In this video, the CTO of Purdue Pharma, a privately held pharmaceutical company explains how Purdue transformed their data center infrastructure with VCE.
- Data Protection and Disaster Recovery with iSCSI and VMware Get this on demand webcast now All Disaster Recovery White Papers | Webcasts