Micron unveils high-endurance, data center SAS SSD
The P410m SAS SSD has a read performance of up to 410MB/s, Micron says
Computerworld - Micron Technology today announced its highest endurance Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) solid-state drive (SSD), the P410m, which it said can endure 10 drive fills per day for five years.
The unveiling of the new drive follows the release last month of Micron's highest endurance serial ATA (SATA) SSD, the P400m.
The P410m SSD is a 2.5-in. drive aimed at mission-critical tier 1 storage applications that require 24/7 data access, Micron said.
The SSD's 6Gbps SAS interface provides dual ports for failover capability.
The new SSD has sequential read/write speeds of 410 MB/s and 345 MB/s using 124KB block sizes, and the drive has a random read/write speed of 50,000 I/Os per second and 30,000 IOPS respectively using 4KB blocks.
As with the P400m, the new P410m comes with Micron's relatively new wear leveling and error correction code firmware that it calls XPERT (extended performance and enhanced reliability technology). As the name implies, XPERT is aimed at extending SSD longevity and enhancing data integrity, the company said.
The P410m comes in 100GB, 200GB, and 400GB capacities. Micron did not disclose pricing.
EMC also announced it is qualifying the P410m for future use in its storage array.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Data Warehousing: modern ecosystems for big data & analytics Five years ago, IBM observed that the planet was becoming more instrumented, interconnected and intelligent. Some 20,000 engagements later, here's what we've learned...
- IBM PureData System for Analytics compared with Teradata This report from ITG compares the cost and time to value of IBM PureData System for Analytics with that of Teradata DW Appliance...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts