Micron unveils high-endurance, data center SAS SSD
The P410m SAS SSD has a read performance of up to 410MB/s, Micron says
Computerworld - Micron Technology today announced its highest endurance Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) solid-state drive (SSD), the P410m, which it said can endure 10 drive fills per day for five years.
The unveiling of the new drive follows the release last month of Micron's highest endurance serial ATA (SATA) SSD, the P400m.
The P410m SSD is a 2.5-in. drive aimed at mission-critical tier 1 storage applications that require 24/7 data access, Micron said.
The SSD's 6Gbps SAS interface provides dual ports for failover capability.
The new SSD has sequential read/write speeds of 410 MB/s and 345 MB/s using 124KB block sizes, and the drive has a random read/write speed of 50,000 I/Os per second and 30,000 IOPS respectively using 4KB blocks.
As with the P400m, the new P410m comes with Micron's relatively new wear leveling and error correction code firmware that it calls XPERT (extended performance and enhanced reliability technology). As the name implies, XPERT is aimed at extending SSD longevity and enhancing data integrity, the company said.
The P410m comes in 100GB, 200GB, and 400GB capacities. Micron did not disclose pricing.
EMC also announced it is qualifying the P410m for future use in its storage array.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts