Micron unveils high-endurance, data center SAS SSD
The P410m SAS SSD has a read performance of up to 410MB/s, Micron says
Computerworld - Micron Technology today announced its highest endurance Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) solid-state drive (SSD), the P410m, which it said can endure 10 drive fills per day for five years.
The unveiling of the new drive follows the release last month of Micron's highest endurance serial ATA (SATA) SSD, the P400m.
The P410m SSD is a 2.5-in. drive aimed at mission-critical tier 1 storage applications that require 24/7 data access, Micron said.
The SSD's 6Gbps SAS interface provides dual ports for failover capability.
The new SSD has sequential read/write speeds of 410 MB/s and 345 MB/s using 124KB block sizes, and the drive has a random read/write speed of 50,000 I/Os per second and 30,000 IOPS respectively using 4KB blocks.
As with the P400m, the new P410m comes with Micron's relatively new wear leveling and error correction code firmware that it calls XPERT (extended performance and enhanced reliability technology). As the name implies, XPERT is aimed at extending SSD longevity and enhancing data integrity, the company said.
The P410m comes in 100GB, 200GB, and 400GB capacities. Micron did not disclose pricing.
EMC also announced it is qualifying the P410m for future use in its storage array.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts