SAP and Ericsson join forces on M2M services
The two will develop services that will be offered to enterprises by operators
IDG News Service - Ericsson and SAP will jointly market and sell cloud-based, machine-to-machine (M2M) products and services to enterprises via operators around the globe.
The M2M market is very fragmented, posing a challenge for any company that wants to enter the space. To address this operators, telecom equipment vendors and enterprise vendors are joining forces in different configurations to simplify the roll-out of services.
The goal with the agreement between SAP and Ericsson is to make it easier for operators to offer enterprises cloud-based M2M services using SAP's HANA platform and Ericsson's Device Connection Platform & Service Enablement platform. The two companies are already discussing the model with operators, but didn't give any details on when the first services are expected to become available and what they will cost.
Ericsson's platform is used by operators such as 3UK, Megafon, Swisscom and TeliaSonera.
The advantages of moving M2M services to the cloud are the same as with other cloud-based services; lower up-front investment and faster time-to-market, according to a joint statement.
The number of global M2M connections is expected to increase from 2 billion at the end of 2011 to 18 billion at the end of 2022, making up 22 percent of cellular connections and 61 percent of all connected devices. Intelligent buildings and consumer electronics will dominate, followed by sectors such as utilities, automotive, health care and smart cities, according to Machina Research.
At the same time revenue is expected to grow from US$200 billion to $1.2 trillion. Two-thirds of the revenue comes from devices and installation, and one-third from services. Again, intelligent buildings, consumer electronics and automotive will be the dominant revenue generators, Machina said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Contact Center Technologies Implementing the right customer contact center tools can boost customer satisfaction and drive down costs. This guide highlights the technologies that are transforming...
- Conferencing Connects: Collaboration Creates Fueled by an explosion in mobile apps, video conferencing is taking hold across organizations. This paper explains how to cost-effectively leverage video conferencing...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts