SAP and Ericsson join forces on M2M services
The two will develop services that will be offered to enterprises by operators
IDG News Service - Ericsson and SAP will jointly market and sell cloud-based, machine-to-machine (M2M) products and services to enterprises via operators around the globe.
The M2M market is very fragmented, posing a challenge for any company that wants to enter the space. To address this operators, telecom equipment vendors and enterprise vendors are joining forces in different configurations to simplify the roll-out of services.
The goal with the agreement between SAP and Ericsson is to make it easier for operators to offer enterprises cloud-based M2M services using SAP's HANA platform and Ericsson's Device Connection Platform & Service Enablement platform. The two companies are already discussing the model with operators, but didn't give any details on when the first services are expected to become available and what they will cost.
Ericsson's platform is used by operators such as 3UK, Megafon, Swisscom and TeliaSonera.
The advantages of moving M2M services to the cloud are the same as with other cloud-based services; lower up-front investment and faster time-to-market, according to a joint statement.
The number of global M2M connections is expected to increase from 2 billion at the end of 2011 to 18 billion at the end of 2022, making up 22 percent of cellular connections and 61 percent of all connected devices. Intelligent buildings and consumer electronics will dominate, followed by sectors such as utilities, automotive, health care and smart cities, according to Machina Research.
At the same time revenue is expected to grow from US$200 billion to $1.2 trillion. Two-thirds of the revenue comes from devices and installation, and one-third from services. Again, intelligent buildings, consumer electronics and automotive will be the dominant revenue generators, Machina said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Breaking BlackBerry: Your transition plan in 10 easy steps The move from BlackBerry should be a methodical approach that turns off the BES lights in a phased and methodical manner as you...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts