SAP and Ericsson join forces on M2M services
The two will develop services that will be offered to enterprises by operators
IDG News Service - Ericsson and SAP will jointly market and sell cloud-based, machine-to-machine (M2M) products and services to enterprises via operators around the globe.
The M2M market is very fragmented, posing a challenge for any company that wants to enter the space. To address this operators, telecom equipment vendors and enterprise vendors are joining forces in different configurations to simplify the roll-out of services.
The goal with the agreement between SAP and Ericsson is to make it easier for operators to offer enterprises cloud-based M2M services using SAP's HANA platform and Ericsson's Device Connection Platform & Service Enablement platform. The two companies are already discussing the model with operators, but didn't give any details on when the first services are expected to become available and what they will cost.
Ericsson's platform is used by operators such as 3UK, Megafon, Swisscom and TeliaSonera.
The advantages of moving M2M services to the cloud are the same as with other cloud-based services; lower up-front investment and faster time-to-market, according to a joint statement.
The number of global M2M connections is expected to increase from 2 billion at the end of 2011 to 18 billion at the end of 2022, making up 22 percent of cellular connections and 61 percent of all connected devices. Intelligent buildings and consumer electronics will dominate, followed by sectors such as utilities, automotive, health care and smart cities, according to Machina Research.
At the same time revenue is expected to grow from US$200 billion to $1.2 trillion. Two-thirds of the revenue comes from devices and installation, and one-third from services. Again, intelligent buildings, consumer electronics and automotive will be the dominant revenue generators, Machina said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts