SAP adds to supply-chain tech with SmartOps acquisition
SAP plans to tie SmartOps technology to its HANA in-memory database
IDG News Service - SAP has acquired SmartOps in a move the company says will allow it to develop real-time supply chain applications that take advantage of SAP's HANA in-memory database.
Terms of the deal, which was announced late Friday, were not disclosed. It is expected to close in the first quarter.
SmartOps' software includes capabilities such as "enterprise demand sensing," which can figure out whether a given item at a particular location is in danger of running out of stock. The company also sells a number of inventory optimization applications. SmartOps' products are available in both cloud-based and on-premises deployments, according to its website.
SAP's HANA database stores information in RAM rather than read it off disks, proving a performance boost that SAP has described as monumental. SmartOps' application performance will be "significantly enhanced" by HANA, according to SAP.
While SAP already has a number of applications that target similar issues as SmartOps' products, such as SAP Demand Signal Management, the addition of SmartOps will "complement and expand" that portfolio, the companies said in a statement.
SmartOps customers will see "the same, or increased" support following the acquisition, SAP said. The companies have been partners for some time, and SmartOps had already developed a number of "solution extensions" for SAP systems, which suggests the integration plans announced as part of the acquisition could proceed quickly.
The SmartOps deal follows SAP's move last year to buy Ariba for $4.3 billion, which gave it a wide variety of SCM and e-commerce capabilities.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts