SAP adds to supply-chain tech with SmartOps acquisition
SAP plans to tie SmartOps technology to its HANA in-memory database
IDG News Service - SAP has acquired SmartOps in a move the company says will allow it to develop real-time supply chain applications that take advantage of SAP's HANA in-memory database.
Terms of the deal, which was announced late Friday, were not disclosed. It is expected to close in the first quarter.
SmartOps' software includes capabilities such as "enterprise demand sensing," which can figure out whether a given item at a particular location is in danger of running out of stock. The company also sells a number of inventory optimization applications. SmartOps' products are available in both cloud-based and on-premises deployments, according to its website.
SAP's HANA database stores information in RAM rather than read it off disks, proving a performance boost that SAP has described as monumental. SmartOps' application performance will be "significantly enhanced" by HANA, according to SAP.
While SAP already has a number of applications that target similar issues as SmartOps' products, such as SAP Demand Signal Management, the addition of SmartOps will "complement and expand" that portfolio, the companies said in a statement.
SmartOps customers will see "the same, or increased" support following the acquisition, SAP said. The companies have been partners for some time, and SmartOps had already developed a number of "solution extensions" for SAP systems, which suggests the integration plans announced as part of the acquisition could proceed quickly.
The SmartOps deal follows SAP's move last year to buy Ariba for $4.3 billion, which gave it a wide variety of SCM and e-commerce capabilities.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts