SAP adds to supply-chain tech with SmartOps acquisition
SAP plans to tie SmartOps technology to its HANA in-memory database
IDG News Service - SAP has acquired SmartOps in a move the company says will allow it to develop real-time supply chain applications that take advantage of SAP's HANA in-memory database.
Terms of the deal, which was announced late Friday, were not disclosed. It is expected to close in the first quarter.
SmartOps' software includes capabilities such as "enterprise demand sensing," which can figure out whether a given item at a particular location is in danger of running out of stock. The company also sells a number of inventory optimization applications. SmartOps' products are available in both cloud-based and on-premises deployments, according to its website.
SAP's HANA database stores information in RAM rather than read it off disks, proving a performance boost that SAP has described as monumental. SmartOps' application performance will be "significantly enhanced" by HANA, according to SAP.
While SAP already has a number of applications that target similar issues as SmartOps' products, such as SAP Demand Signal Management, the addition of SmartOps will "complement and expand" that portfolio, the companies said in a statement.
SmartOps customers will see "the same, or increased" support following the acquisition, SAP said. The companies have been partners for some time, and SmartOps had already developed a number of "solution extensions" for SAP systems, which suggests the integration plans announced as part of the acquisition could proceed quickly.
The SmartOps deal follows SAP's move last year to buy Ariba for $4.3 billion, which gave it a wide variety of SCM and e-commerce capabilities.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts