SAP adds to supply-chain tech with SmartOps acquisition
SAP plans to tie SmartOps technology to its HANA in-memory database
IDG News Service - SAP has acquired SmartOps in a move the company says will allow it to develop real-time supply chain applications that take advantage of SAP's HANA in-memory database.
Terms of the deal, which was announced late Friday, were not disclosed. It is expected to close in the first quarter.
SmartOps' software includes capabilities such as "enterprise demand sensing," which can figure out whether a given item at a particular location is in danger of running out of stock. The company also sells a number of inventory optimization applications. SmartOps' products are available in both cloud-based and on-premises deployments, according to its website.
SAP's HANA database stores information in RAM rather than read it off disks, proving a performance boost that SAP has described as monumental. SmartOps' application performance will be "significantly enhanced" by HANA, according to SAP.
While SAP already has a number of applications that target similar issues as SmartOps' products, such as SAP Demand Signal Management, the addition of SmartOps will "complement and expand" that portfolio, the companies said in a statement.
SmartOps customers will see "the same, or increased" support following the acquisition, SAP said. The companies have been partners for some time, and SmartOps had already developed a number of "solution extensions" for SAP systems, which suggests the integration plans announced as part of the acquisition could proceed quickly.
The SmartOps deal follows SAP's move last year to buy Ariba for $4.3 billion, which gave it a wide variety of SCM and e-commerce capabilities.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Mitigate Risk and Accelerate Time to Value Download this white paper to learn how your IT organization can accelerate business, introduce new services, and reach new markets, all while staying...
- Allay Risks in Application Rationalization and Modernization IT has to do it all: react quickly to market needs, introduce new services, capitalize on mobile, and comply with regulatory requirements, all...
- Delivering Application Data On-Demand Packaged app dev teams frequently operate with limited testing environments due to various constraints. By virtualizing the entire application stack, Delphix-powered teams can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts