Sony Xperia Tablet Z will go on sale in Q2 priced from $499
Xperia Tablet Z is a 10-inch device that is just 6.9 mm thick with full HD, quad-core processor and NFC, Sony says
IDG News Service - Sony's Xperia Tablet Z will go on sale globally in the second quarter, priced from $499 in the U.S.
The 10-inch tablet will be just 6.9 millimeters thick, with an 1,920 by 1,200 pixel HD screen and a new quad core processor from Qualcomm, the Snapdragon S4 Pro. It will weigh 495 grams, according to Sony.
A black version of the device will go on sale in the U.S. in the second quarter, priced at $499 with 16GB of storage or $599 with 32GB, Sony said Monday. A white 32GB version will be sold at Sony's stores and website. Storage can be extended via a microSD slot.
The company did not indicate pricing for other countries.
Sony said the device will have the highest levels of water and dirt resistance in a tablet, and can be held under 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. It will also feature speakers designed to offer surround sound regardless of how the tablet is gripped, as well as an 8 Megapixel rear mounted camera and 2 Megapixel front-facing camera using the company's own image sensors.
The new tablet will join Sony's Xperia Z phone, announced in January, as a flagship device, part of the company's quest to regain the gadget glory of years past. The company has set a goal of becoming the world's number three smartphone maker, behind Apple and Samsung.
Sony has posted a new video of the device online.
The tablet has touch-card NFC (near field communication) technology, allowing devices to transfer video and audio files by tapping them together. Sony is increasingly incorporating NFC into its new products
Sony is also striving to give the tablet a key role in users' living rooms. It can be used as a universal remote control, and the company is launching a new app called "TV SideView" that allows users to search for shows on traditional channels as well as Netflix and YouTube, and share content on social networks.
The device will launch with Android 4.1 and an update to 4.2 will be made available after it goes on sale.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more