Dell's 'Sputnik' Ubuntu Linux laptop gets key upgrade
Now with a full HD display, this developer-focused machine will soon roll out in Europe as well.
PC World - Although it's oriented primarily towards developers, Dell's "Project Sputnik" Ubuntu Linux ultrabook has attracted considerable interest from Linux fans.
When I spoke with Barton George, a Dell director, upon the North American launch last fall of the XPS 13 Developer Edition, he noted two common requests that came up during the testing process: a "big brother version" with beefier specs, and availability outside the United States.
Earlier this week Dell offered fresh news on both of those fronts.
"On Dell.com, we're now offering the XPS 13 Developer Edition laptop with the full HD screen for customers in the United States for $1549," wrote Dell blogger Lionel MenchacaA on Monday. Not only that, but "we're also starting to roll it out in select countries in Europe."
Earlier this month Dell announced that it was bringing a full HD display to its main XPS 13, noting then that it would eventually become standard in the Ubuntu-preloaded XPS 13 Developer Edition.
"Having a higher-resolution display option was the most requested feature from customers interested in the XPS 13 Developer Edition," Menchaca noted in a blog post at the time. "This feedback was consistent with what we heard from reviewers and other potential XPS 13 customers as well."
Featuring a 1920-by-1080 resolution, the new, 13.3-inch display is brighter and has wider viewing angles than its predecessor. Previously, the Ubuntu laptop offered a 1366-by-768 resolution.
As for other specs, the "Sputnik 2" machine now sports a third-generation Intel i7 processor, 8GB of system memory, Intel HD graphics 4000, a 256GB SSD drive, and Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS as its operating system. Also included in the $1549 package are one year of Dell ProSupport and onsite service after remote diagnostics.
Availability, meanwhile, is already here for the United States and Canada, while the rollout in Europe apparently begins next week for online sales in France, Germany, the UK, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
In Israel, Luxembourg, Morocco, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates, sales will be made through a local Dell representative.A Finally, "with regards to the Asia Pacific region, we are currently evaluating options to introduce the XPS 13 Developer Edition in Australia and other countries in Asia, but don't have details to share at this time," George explained in a Monday blog post of his own.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts