Trend Micro adds Facebook scanner to mobile security suite
The software will check a user's Facebook settings and offer suggested improvements
IDG News Service - Trend Micro is adding the often confusing world of Facebook privacy settings to a new version of its flagship security software.
Version 3 of the company's Trend Micro Mobile Security, available for Android users this week, will check a user's Facebook settings and offer advice on changes intended to help keep personal information secure.
More than a billion people use Facebook, often sharing private and intimate moments of their life that can provide a wealth of information for about their lives. More than a third of users profess to not knowing much about the site's privacy settings and often share things in public without realizing it, said Greg Boyle, a marketing manager at Trend Micro.
Trend Micro is also offering the Facebook security software available as a free stand-alone app, Privacy Scanner for Facebook.
In addition to virus and malware scanning and protection against phishing, the paid version of the software also includes a data back-up service that can include the phone's photos, music, calendar, videos, text messages and call history. The first 50MB of back-up space is free and an additional 5GB will cost $2 per month.
Trend Micro Mobile Security version 3.0 costs $30 and is available now on Google Play.
The software was announced at the Mobile World Congress exhibition, which is taking place all this week in Barcelona.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts